Natural Rx for UI and Overactive Bladder?

outside-tp

There are many natural treatments available for urinary incontinence and overactive bladder (OAB). Your symptoms can be eased through a developmental approach. Behavioral techniques and natural treatments for urinary incontinence and OAB have almost no harmful effects and are relatively inexpensive. Scheduling regular visits with your physical therapist, doctor or other health care provider to monitor your progress is essential.

Behavioral therapy uses a “mind over bladder” approach, focuses on retraining your bladder to be controlled by your brain. A bladder diary is very helpful to keep over a 24-hour period so that you can see often you are visiting the bathroom to urinate (void). Monitoring your fluid intake can help. To be aware of your symptoms, note your activity level when you have leakage.

Training your bladder is also known as timed voiding. This reestablishes a healthy voiding pattern by gradually increasing the amount of time in between your visits to the bathroom. For instance, if you void every hour, the goal would be to stretch it gradually (approximately 5-10 minutes per week or every two weeks until your bathroom visits are at least every two to every three hours while awake).

Use diversion techniques to stretch your voiding intervals. Focus on another activity or area of your body if you are attempting to hold your need to urinate. Concentrating on deep breathing rather than on your bladder can help. Continue to do so until the urge to void diminishes. Pelvic floor muscle exercises (Kegels) strengthen your pelvic floor and urethral sphincter. They also reduce stress incontinence and quiet those unwanted bladder contractions (urge incontinence.)

This article was written by Jill Rabin, MD, urogynecologist at the Long Island Jewish Medical Center in New Hyde Park, NY

This entry was posted in Featured and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Natural Rx for UI and Overactive Bladder?

1. Marco says:

Hi and thanks for finding the time to explain the terminlogy for the newcomers!

2. Cynthia Douglas says:

I work on my feet 58 hours a week,two jobs ,I do not feel the need to urinate like I should,resulting in leaking a small amount. It started shortly after having a D&C.I have been timing myself to go every three hours ,but still leak now.I am single and just started dating someone and this makes me very uncomfortable.What path do you think I should be taking?I am a very young 57 year old woman.This has made my life difficult.I am a retail manager and hairdresser which puts in close contact with people.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. will says:

mate do you have a twitter?

• National Association For Continence says:

You can follow us on Twitter at @BladderHealth

• Samir says:

urinary incontinence?hi there, I stisauned an injury 2 yrs ago and have CRPS in my right arm as a result of this injury I have been taking many medications over time and have had many new issues come to light (Depression, Panic attacks, Weight gain and more). I recently developed Urinary Retention and had to have a indwelling catheter inserted to help I had a leg bag for three days and have now a flip-flo valve and have to record all my urinary outputs. My question is what is a good result at this stage should I be urinating alot or immitating my past patterns what is my Doc looking for?? In anticipation thank-you very much for your time and advice everyone

• Mariana says:

Just got my diagnosis at the end of December and have not even dedcied on a treatment plan yet and yet I already feel like its over I know stressing about it is the last thing I need to do but as soon as I get distracted and am onto another thought pattern like art or work or TV something jars me back into the reality of it all and I get scared all over again Not sure how to handle this .

• National Association For Continence says:

Please contact us directly for more information. You can reach us by phone at 1-800-BLADDER (252-3337) or by email at [email protected].

• Abak says:

URINARY INCONTINENCE?i had a car accident 6 years ago that left me with nerve dgmaae in my bladder area, and since the doctors at mayo clinic told me that the condition is non treatable. and that it may over ti me get worse. but right now i awake or asleep have no control over my bladder. and the urin completly flows out on its own, like an open drain pipe. my only treatment is Diapers. my question here is. can nerve dgmaae to the bladder area cause this incontenence and can nerves heal themselves over time. such as my bladder healing itself so i dont have to wear Diapers anymore. and resume a normal like. any further confersations you are free to emailme at . that is my primary email. and another question. do they have support groups for people with INCONTINENCE.thank you for your time

• Sonu says:

Not stress incectinonne.This will help you:5 TYPES OF INCONTINENCEThere are five common types of incectinonne, which can be experienced either separately or in a variety of combinations. 1. STRESS The leakage of a small amount of urine due to sudden pressure on the bladder experienced when laughing, coughing, exercising, or lifting a heavy object. 2. URGE A sudden “urge” to urinate that is so strong that the bathroom cannot be reached in time. 3. OVERFLOW When the bladder fills beyond capacity and urine spills. Women may also experience the feeling of never being able to empty the bladder. 4. REFLEX An involuntary urination without any sensation of a full bladder. It is possible to be completely unaware of the need to urinate when this happens. 5. FUNCTIONAL This results from surgery, restricted mobility, environmental barriers, medications, or mental disorders.

• Adam says:

As a former vcitim of frequent urinary tract infections, I feel your pain! It is important to drink enough fluids while you are being treated for a urinary tract infection. It helps the antibiotic to work more efficiently. You do not need to drink ridiculous amounts of water, just do not limit the liquids that you do not want to keep running to the bathroom. Its a pain, to be sure, but your body needs fluid now. Staying hydrated can also help to actually decrease the intensity of your pain with urination, because the urine is more dilue9e.Les good news is that the symptoms of frequent urination usually disappear fairly quickly. You should start to feel better after the first dose or two of antibiotics. Just be sure to continue to take all the antibiotics, even if you feel better, so you completely eliminate the infection if he can come back to haunt you! (Been there, done that yuck!) Try to drink 6-8 glasses of water a day while on the medication. Its OK to count the coffee, juice, or soda as a couple of these, but the water is pure and meilleure.Hope this helps you feel better soon! In the meantime, drink